Cohen Center was built in the 1890's. About 10 years ago, when Greek life was still a big part of Alfred this spot on main street belonged to a fraternity. However, once the University possessed the building around 2001 they turned it into a much more functional location. Another facility was built toward the back of the property where freshman foundations programs are held. The main house is used as a gallery for distinguished artists and the second floor is used as apartments which are reserved for visiting artists of Alfred, such as Lenka Clayton and Jeff Kalstrom. The Cohen center is also important to the students of Alfred University, it gives them an opportunity to create shows for themselves.