Sunday, April 11, 2010

Deer Stairwell

It's weird being in Harder Hall now (I'm a BAFA kid).  This is the year I really got to know my way around (which is good because I'm unfazed by the construction now).  

The mural stairwell that runs from the 5th floor to the Ceramic area, though, is one that I remember when I took art tours when visiting Alfred.  I was always struck by this staircase.  Even to this day, I can't really put into words how I feel about it.  Something between happiness, curiosity, and contentedness.  Sublime... I think that's the word I'm looking for.  

And only today I passed by it between floors 1 and 2, and they're painting over part of it.

2 comments:

  1. That painting that is going up is actually a final project for a few individual's Art History class. The original painting was a senior's thesis a few years ago- it was supposed to be wiped immediatley after the shows, but it was never done.
    I feel like this gives the inhabitants of harder hall a chance to have a say in our choice of wall decoration- the school has asked the individuals doing their work there to wipe out the entire stairway once they are done. But why do that? Why not allow the space to be a rotating painting exhibition, much like the grafitti wall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Leave it up to be wiped clean when needed.

    ReplyDelete